Our new mobile Scissorcrafts library is nearing completion.
New library, filled with fantastic image displays here,
- Easy to navigate!
- Enhanced image quality!
- Large size image format!
- New and Vastly improved images
Early Bird $1 special
Because Covid 19 crisis has negatively impacted us and so many other families, since our dust is not quite yet settled with this re-design, please accept a full year membership (regularly $15.00) for a small token of $1.00.
Note: When the crisis is lifted, prices will return to the regular $15.00 yearly subscription rates. Everyone with a current Scissorcrafts subscription will be added to this new membership site ASAP. If you want access now or faster, send an email pkelley9 @ gmail.com
The Ugly Duckling Approach
The Ugly Duckling
The Ugly Duckling is a Hans Christian Andersen story, written in 1843, about the child of a swan whose egg accidentally rolled into a duck's nest. As a result, the swan is raised as a duckling in a community of ducks.
The story is an "Odd Man Out" tale of life as a person who differs from other members of a group:
- The relatable, atypical or unconventional person or thing
- Fish out of water
- Square peg in a round hole
I think self-Deprecating humor falls into the ugly duckling genre of humor. Case in point; Drew Cary, Marine, comedian, game-show host is a masterful Ugly Duckling who transformed into a Swan through self deprecating humor.
His timing, technique and delivery is perfectly timed to maximize impact on the audience.
Mr. Cary has perfected the technique of the long pause to invite audience anticipation. On his very first appearance on the Johnny Carson Tonight Show, he walked out on stage with his trademark crew cut and thick rimmed glasses and stood silently, with a smile on his face.
- to gain audience sympathy from first impression
- then he said "Ya, I know what I look like, thanks."
- to mock audience shallowness and challenge introspection he follows up with,
- "I don't know if looking like this is worth that one joke..."
Instant appeal. Today he hosts the Price Is Right, the world's most popular game show – Drew Carey is a swan among ducks.
Here are a few Table Topics questions which may draw out the inner swan:
- Abby Normal was name of insane killer's brain transplanted into Frankenstein monster's cranium.
Question: What name would give your brain?
- Group Think ignores the na-saying spreaders of cautionary tales
Question: Have you felt satisfaction that something failed because your input was dismissed?
- A friend once said he was protected by nature from unwelcome advances.
Question: What do you assume he meant?
- It was then ______________ I suddenly realized the "Person of Interest" was me!
- The last time tried to ____________________I felt like a square peg in a round hole
- When the _________________ happened, I knew I was the odd-man out
- My views on ____________________ make me feel like a fish out of water
- When ______________ happened the silence was so deafening I could hear a pin drop
- If the definition of an underdog a loser or predicted loser in a struggle or contest, a victim of injustice or persecution
Question: What is the meaning of:"There's no need to fear, Underdog is here!"
Copyright 2018 pat Kelley scissorcraft.blog.com